- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 800 g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 450 g fresh spinach
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat.
2. Add the bread and fry for 5 minutes until golden brown on all sides. Add the garlic and cumin and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the garlic is nutty brown.
3. Transfer to a pestle and mortar or food processor. Add the vinegar and mash or process to a paste.
4. Return the bread paste to the pan and add the drained chick peas.
5. Cook, stirring, until the chick peas have absorbed the flavours and are hot, then season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. If the consistency is a little thick, add some water. Now add the spinach and cook until just wilted, around 2 minutes. Check the seasoning and serve.
Rate This Recipe