- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 20 mins marinating
- Effort: easy
For the tagine
- 4 chicken legs, skin removed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 30 g butter
- 15 strands saffron
- 1 large onion, grated coarsely
- 3 persimon, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
For the caramelised persimons
- 30 g butter
- 1 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 small handful coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lightly toasted sesame seeds
Tips and Suggestions
Sam and Sam Clark suggest accompanying this tagine with a dish of braised chickpeas, spinach and garlic.
1. For the tagine: rub the chicken with the crushed garlic and cinnamon and set aside for 20 minutes.
2. Toss the chicken with all the remaining tagine ingredients and 300ml water. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
3. Place in a tagine, casserole, or large frying pan with a tight fitting lid. Simmer, covered, for 1½ hours, turning the chicken halfway through cooking. Check the sauce is not drying out too much or catching: if it is, add a little water.
4. For the caramelised persimons: gently melt the butter a frying pan. Place the persimons in the pan and increase the heat. Brown the fruit on two or three sides, trying to keep the caramel on the fruit, not in the pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and cinnamon.
5. When the chicken is ready, it should be almost falling off the bone and the sauce thick. Taste for seasoning, then serve the chicken with the caramelised persimons, coriander and sesame seeds on top.
Rate This Recipe