- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 110 g shelled whole almonds, chopped
- 100 ml olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 x 5 cm cinnamon sticks
- good pinch saffron
- 1.3 litres chicken stock
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 400 g couscous
1. Place the almonds in a large casserole dish or saucepan with a lid on a high heat and cook, tossing frequently, for 23 minutes or until they are lightly browned (taking care not to let them burn), then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
2. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the dish or pan, still on a high heat, then season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in the hot oil. Fry, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until browned all over.
3. Reduce the heat to mediumlow and add the remaining olive oil, followed by the onions, garlic and cinnamon stick. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring, for 68 minutes or until the onions are soft and lightly browned.
4. Add the saffron to the dish or pan, along with the stock, and stir in the honey. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 2025 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in the couscous, cover again and cook for a further 3 minutes or just until the couscous is soft, then stir in the toasted almonds, taste for seasoning and serve in warmed bowls.
Recipe taken from Rachel Allen's Easy Meals.
Rate This Recipe