- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 knob butter
- 1 whole peeled cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 handfuls smoked bacon lardons
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 chicken breast
- grated caerphilly cheese, and crusty bread, to serve
1. Fry the carrot, leek, celery and onion in the butter until soft. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme sprigs, then stir in the bacon lardons and fry for a few minutes.
2. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and add them to the pan. Simmer gently for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Serve the cawl in bowls, sprinkled with a little grated caerphilly cheese and with crusty bread on the side.
Rate This Recipe