- Serves: makes 16 dumplings
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the wontons
- 200 g chicken, ground or minced
- 200 g prawns, fresh, shelled, deveined, finely chopped
- 1 large spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp cornflour
- pinchground black pepper
- pinch salt
- 16 wonton wrappers, (available in Chinese supermarkets)
For the vinegar soy dressing
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar, or Mirin (Chinese black rice vinegar is best)
- 1 tsp coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1. For the wontons: in a large bowl, mix together the chicken, prawns, spring onion, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, cornflour, salt and pepper.
2. Place two teaspoons of the filling in the centre of each wonton wrapper. Gather the sides of the wrapper and mould around the filling into a ball, leaving the centre exposed. It should look a bit like an open flower.
3. Oil the bottom of a bamboo steamer and steam for about 6-8 minutes until cooked.
4. For the dressing: combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, coriander and chillies.
5. Serve with the vinegar soy dressing or a chilli dipping sauce.
Ching's alternative serving suggestions
1. Fried crispy wontons: fill the wonton wrappers and gather all the corners into the middle of the wrapper and mould the complete wonton so there is no open filling. Deep fry the wontons in a wok or pan of hot groundnut oil until golden brown and crispy. Drain on absorbent paper.
2. Wonton Noodle Soup: fill the wonton wrappers and gather all the corners into the middle of the wrapper. Mould the complete wonton so there is no open filling. Put the wontons in 1 litre of simmering chicken stock with 200g shredded Chinese leaf, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons light soy sauce, 2 finely chopped spring onions. Cook the wontons in this clear soupy broth for 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with coriander and serve.
Rate This Recipe