- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g lard
- 1.4 kg chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 700 g red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 8 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 175 ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the saffron potatoes
- 16 new potatoes
- pinches saffron
- 50 g unsalted butter
1. Heat the lard in a casserole dish and fry the chicken over a moderate heat for 5-7 minutes, until golden on all sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
2. Add the onions, turn the heat down and cook until golden brown. Stir in the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes, before sprinkling in the paprika.
3. Return the chicken to the casserole and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Add the tomatoes and wine, and bring to the boil. Cover and cook gently for 45 minutes.
5. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan.
6. Turn up the heat and if the sauce looks thin, cook down until lightly thickened. Return the chicken to the pan.
7. While the chicken is cooking, make the saffron potatoes. Place the potatoes in a medium-sized saucepan, cover with cold water, add a pinch of salt and half of the saffron. Bring to a boil and cook until soft. Drain in a colander.
8. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the remaining saffron. Tip in the potatoes and fry until golden and crisp. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Just before serving, garnish the chicken with snipped chives and serve straight away with the saffron potatoes.
Rate This Recipe