- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 chicken breasts
- 80 g butter, softened
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 small bunches mint, leaves picked from stalks and sliced
- 12 rashers streaky bacon
For the quinoa and avocado salad
- 120 g fair-trade quinoa
- 200 ml water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little for drizzling
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 75 g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 100 g sun-blushed tomatoes
- 2 ripe medium avocado
- black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Lay the chicken breasts smooth-side down and lift the fillets to one side. Mix the soft butter with the ginger and one third of the mint and season well. Spread a quarter of the butter down the length of each breast in the groove left by the fillets. Fold the fillets back over the butter and season the breasts with black pepper.
3. Wrap each breast in three rashers of streaky bacon with the overlap meeting on the underside of the breast. Put the bacon-wrapped breasts onto a small baking tray with the overlapping side down and roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
4. While the chicken roasts, cook the quinoa. Bring the water to the boil with the olive oil, honey, grated ginger, chopped garlic and salt. Add the quinoa and gently simmer for about 10 minutes until the germ separates. Cover and leave to absorb the remaining liquid.
5. Add the chopped chilli, the zest and juice of the lemon and lime, dried apricots, cranberries, tomatoes and remaining sliced mint. Stir well and season.
6. Once the chicken is cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes. Cut the avocadoes in half, twist gently to separate the halves then remove the stones and skins. Cut the flesh into large chunks and toss with the quinoa.
7. Spoon the salad onto four plates, cut each chicken breast into 5 slices and arrange over the salad, drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Rate This Recipe