- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 150 g pancetta, cut into strips
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 600 g celeriac
- 2 sticks celery, with leaves
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 400 g Savoy cabbage, or winter greens, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh truffle, finely sliced, or truffle oil
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas 4.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat. Place the chicken upside down in the pan to colour the breast.
3. Turn the chicken and brown it evenly on all sides. Transfer the browned chicken in a deep casserole dish (setting the frying pan to one side to use later).
4. Heat the stock and pour around the chicken. Cover the casserole and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Return the frying pan to the heat with the remaining olive oil. Add the pancetta, bay leaves, fennel seeds and garlic and fry for 3-4 minutes.
6. Then add the onions, celeriac and celery, stir together and fry for a further 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and set aside.
7. Remove the chicken from the oven after the 30 minutes baking time. Add the fried pancetta mixture and the cabbage to the chicken. Cover and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
8. Remove the chicken from the pot and when cool enough to handle take off the meat and cut into large bite-sized pieces.
9. Put the chicken meat back into the broth with the vegetables and heat through. Serve piping hot, scattered with slices of truffle or drizzled with a little truffle oil.
Rate This Recipe