- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 1 large chicken, segmented
- extra virgin olive oil
- 6 shallots, halved or quartered, depending on size
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced crossways
- 125 ml white wine
- 800 g canned cherry tomatoes
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp caster sugar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped leaves of thyme
- 6-8 leaves of basil, torn
- 30 black olives
- crusty bread or rosemary roast potatoes, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4. Season the flour with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, then toss the chicken pieces in it, shaking off the excess.
2. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and, on a high heat, brown the chicken pieces in batches over a moderate heat for a couple of minutes, taking care not to overcrowd the frying pan. As each batch browns, transfer the chicken to a casserole dish.
3. Reduce the heat under the frying pan to low and sauté the shallots until soft. Add the garlic and cook gently, then transfer the onion mixture to the casserole.
4. Deglaze the frying pan with the white wine. Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, sugar and thyme to the pan and place over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then pour the sauce into the casserole dish over the chicken.
5. Cover the dish with foil and cook in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the chicken is cooked.
5. Add the basil and olives to the casserole then taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread or rosemary roast potatoes.
Rate This Recipe