- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 large chicken, jointed into 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12-16 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 large Florence bulb fennel, cut into wedges
- 500 g red or white skinned new potatoes, halved if large
- 200baby g carrots, washed and trimmed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 500 ml light ale or lager
- 150-200 g spinach leaves
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Heat the olive oil in large ovenproof casserole over the stove. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and fry until golden on all sides.
2. Transfer the chicken to a plate and add the shallots to the casserole. Fry for 2 minutes, until softened. Stir in the fennel, potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, thyme and tomato puree.
3. Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper and return the chicken to the casserole. Pour in the ale or larger, cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 45 minutes.
4. When the casserole is cooked, divide the spinach between 4 warmed bowls. Top each with a few ladles of the casserole (the heat will instantly wilt the spinach) and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe