- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: easy
For the chicken
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 limes, grated zest and rind
- 0.5 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the vegetables
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 orange pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
For the tortillas
- 250 g plain flour, sifted
- 0.25 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinches salt
- 50 g lard
- 60 ml warm water
- tomato salsa
- soured cream
1. Slice the chicken breasts into strips, about 2cm wide, and place in a large bowl.
2. Add the lime rind and juice, the caster sugar, oregano, cayenne and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly and set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes - longer if you have the time.
3. Meanwhile, make the tortillas. Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
4. Rub in the lard, and pour in the water in a steady stream, until the mixture becomes a firm but pliable dough.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until smooth and elastic.
6. Divide the dough into 6 equal sized pieces and roll each piece out to make a 30cm circle. Cover with cling film to prevent them drying out.
7. Heat a large frying pan or griddle over a medium heat. Cook each tortilla for about 1 minute on each side, or until the surface begins to blister and turn golden. Keep the cooked tortillas warm and pliable by wrapping in a clean, dry tea towel.
8. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes, until tender.
9. Stir in the peppers and onions and cook for a further 3 - 4 minutes, until the chicken strips are cooked through and the vegetables are soft and tender.
10. Spoon the chicken mixture into a serving dish and bring to the table with the cooked tortillas, guacamole, salsa and soured cream. Keep the tortillas wrapped.
12. To serve, spread a little salsa over a warm tortilla and top with a spoonful of guacamole. Heap a tablespoon of the chicken mixture in the centre and finish with a dollop of soured cream. Fold the tortilla over the filling and serve straight away.
To make rolling out tortilla dough easier and quicker - place each dough ball between two sheets of baking parchment or cling film before rolling.
Kids love these too - but if they're not keen on the heat, omit the cayenne pepper.
Rate This Recipe