- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
Chicken, Feta and Harissa Pasta
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- 300 g penne
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 80 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small red bird's-eye or serrano chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons harissa, (home-made or shop-bought)
- 225 ml roasted-tomato pasta sauce
- half tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 100 g feta cheese, diced
For the harissa:
- 75 g large dried chillies, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- quarter tsp caraway seeds
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 50 ml tomato purée
- 60 ml olive oil
- oil, for covering
1. Soak chilli for two hours, and reserve water. Dry-roast cumin seeds over gentle heat until fragrant. Cool, then grind to a fine powder with caraway seeds.
2. Blend chilli, garlic and 100ml reserved soaking water in a food processor to a paste. Add ground spices, salt, tomato puree and oil, and blend until smooth.
3. Spoon into a sterilised jar, cover with oil and seal.
4. Shred the cooked chicken and set aside.
5. Bring a large pan of water with a teaspoon of sea salt in it to the boil, Add the penne and cook until al dente. Drain, return to pan and cover to keep warm.
6. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan. Fry the onion until it begins to brown, then add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute.
7. Add the harissa and the roasted tomato pasta sauce and cook for a further minute. Season, then stir in chicken and simmer until chicken heated through.
8. Toss together the drained pasta, chicken sauce, parsley and feta. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe