- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 chicken liver, trimmed, carefully washed and dried
- 100 g calves' liver, trimmed, washed and dried
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée, diluted in 4 tbsp hot water or stock
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 8 thin slices crusty bread, such as ciabatta
- black pepper
1. Heat the oil and half the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and parsley and gently fry for about 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the chicken liver and calf's liver to the pan. Stir in the wine. Let the wine evaporate for about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the diluted tomato purée. Season to taste, then add about 2 tablespoons water. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Remove the livers and put them in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth then return to the pan with the vegetables
5. Stir in the capers and the rest of the butter. Heat the mixture through, then remove from the heat, but keep warm.
6. Lightly grill or toast the bread. Spread generously with the topping and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe