- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus overnight chilling
- Effort: easy
- oil, for greasing
- 400 g chicken livers, cleaned and chopped
- 100 ml ruby port
- 100 ml madeira
- 50 ml brandy
- 150 g shallots, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 clove garlic, finely sliced
- leaves from 1 large sprig thyme
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 400 g unsalted butter, melted
- sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3. Ensure that all ingredients are at room temperature.
2. Grease and line eight ramekins with greaseproof paper.
3. Put the chicken livers, port, Madeira and brandy in a food processor with the shallots, garlic and thyme. Whiz to a smooth paste and scrape into a bowl.
4. Whisk the eggs and butter together until creamy.
5. Combine the egg and chicken liver mixtures, mixing well. Season with sea salt to taste.
6. Push the mixture through a chinois or fine sieve. Spoon into the ramekins.
7. Place the ramekins in a roasting pan with enough hot water to come halfway up their sides. Put in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until just set.
8. Remove from the roasting pan and leave to cool. When cool, cover and chill in the fridge for 24 hours.
Rate This Recipe