- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g chicken livers
- 55 g goose fat
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves only
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp calvados
- black pepper
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 10 egg yolks
1. Preheat the oven to 160oC/gas 3.
2. Make a bain-marie by placing a deep tray of water in the oven, allow the water to heat up to the oven's temperature (about 10-15 minutes).
3. Take a frying pan, put it on the hob and over a medium-high heat melt the goose fat then cook the shallots, thyme and garlic. Leave the mixture to cool slightly then pour it into a food processor.
4. Clean off the sinew from the chicken livers and place them in the food processor, adding a splash of Calvados. Season well, add the nutmeg and finally the allspice.
5. Blend the ingredients together until well mixed. Add the egg yolks and blend again.
6. Pour the mixture into a tureen mould (you will probably need two), and cover with tin foil.
7. Once the bain-marie has come up to temperature, place the tureen moulds into the water and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes at a temperature of 160oC/gas 3.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
Rate This Recipe