- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 g chicken livers
- 100 g butter
- 1 tbsp sweet sherry, Madeira, port or brandy
- black pepper
1. Pick over the chicken livers, carefully removing any greenish yellow bits. Cut the larger livers in half.
2. Melt 40g of the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the livers over a moderate heat until browned on the outside but still pink in the middle. Tip the contents of the pan into a food processor or pestle and mortar (depending on whether you want a smooth or rough textured pate), scraping out all the butter and brown frying residues.
3. Add the alcohol and the remaining butter, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pound together until roughly amalgamated, or alternatively, blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. Transfer the pate to a serving dish, or several small ramekins, smooth down and leave to set in the fridge.
Rate This Recipe