- Serves: 3-4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hour marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 6 small cipolline onions, peeled
- 2 large slices focaccia or sourdough bread
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, halved, seeds removed
- 150 g rocket
1. Turn the chicken onto its back, bone out the carcass and remove the leg bones (you can ask your butcher to do this for you). Place the chicken into a large tray and rub with the thyme, lemon juice and garlic. Cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for one hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sear the chicken skin-side down for 2-3 minutes, or until golden-brown. Turn the chicken over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until golden-brown all over.
4. Remove the chicken from the pan and add the onions and focaccia bread to the pan. Place chicken on top of focaccia and scatter the tomatoes over the top. Place in the oven to cook for 30 minutes, or until the bread is crisp and the chicken is cooked through.
5. Roughly chop the chicken into pieces, and cut each slice of foccacia into two pieces. Spoon the chicken over the foccacia again and drizzle over any remaining pan juices. Scatter over the tomatoes and onions.
6. To serve, dress the rocket with lemon juice and olive oil and use to garnish the plate.
Rate This Recipe