- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2.5 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the chutney
- 1000 g tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 225 g apples, cored and cut into chunks
- 225 g red onions, peeled and cut into chunks
- 25 g coriander seeds
- 2 dried chillies
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 225 g sultanas
- 01 lemons, grated zest and juice
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 100 g chopped walnuts
- 425 ml malt vinegar
For the pastry bakes
- 4 small skinless chicken breasts
- 55 ml white wine
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g unsmokedlardons of bacon
- 4 pickled walnuts, drained and chopped
- 250 g puff pastry
- 100 g farmhouse cheddar cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
1. For the chutney, put the tomatoes, apples and onions in a large pan. Tie the coriander seeds and chillies in some muslin and add to the pan, with the salt. Leave overnight.
2. The following day, add the other ingredients, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours on a low heat until thick. Pour into clean sterile jars, cover and store in a cool place.
3. To make the pastry bakes, put the chicken breasts, white wine and thyme in a bowl. Leave to marinate for 1 hour, then dry the chicken off.
4. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken over a low heat. Remove the chicken and fry the bacon in the same pan until crispy. Then add the pickled walnuts.
5. Roll out the pastry and cut into circles or squares to give a border of about 3cm all the way around the chicken breasts. Prick the centre with a fork but leave the outer edge free from fork marks.
6. Lay the pastry discs on a baking sheet. Put a chicken breast in the centre of each, scatter over some bacon and walnuts and then lay the cheese on top. Season with black pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
7. Serve the pastry bakes with the chutney.
Rate This Recipe