- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 350 g shortcrust pastry
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 tbsp garden peas
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400 g skinless chicken breasts
- 300 g skinless chicken legs, boned and diced
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 sprig thyme, finely chopped
- 1 sprig marjoram, finely chopped
- bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp heaped plain flour
- 150 ml full-fat milk
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
2. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry until about 3mm thick and use half of it to line a 24cm flan ring, pricking the base with a fork. Rest in the fridge for 20 minutes, then cover with foil, fill with baking beans and bake blind for about 10 minutes.
3. Remove the pastry case from the oven, and turn up to 170C/gas 3.
4. Take out the baking beans and leave the pastry to cool.
5. Heat half of the butter in a pan on a medium heat and gently sweat the carrot, celery, onion, leek, peas and garlic. Once softened, remove them from the pan and set aside.
6. Add the remaining butter to the pan and lightly brown the chicken pieces, seasoning them with salt, pepper, nutmeg and the herbs.
7. Sprinkle the flour over the chicken, stir and cook 2 minutes before gradually adding the milk and cream. Once the sauce is ready, return the vegetables to the pan, stirring them in thoroughly. Remove from the heat and leave the filling to cool.
8. Stir in the lemon zest and pour the mixture into the pastry case.
9. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg and lay the remaining pastry over the top of the pie, pinching the edges to seal. Now brush the top of the pastry with egg, and make a small hole in it to let out steam.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Remove and serve with broccoli and new potatoes.
Rate This Recipe