- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 2.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 large boiling chicken, with neck, gizzard, feet
- 2.5 litres cold water
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 g shin beef, approximate quantity
1. Wash the chicken thoroughly. Place in a large pan with the beef, and cover with cold water. Season well, bring the water to the boil and skim well.
2. Reduce the heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover the pan and simmer for a good two hours, until the bird is tender and the stock flavoursome. Strain, leave to cool, and refrigerate the soup overnight. Reserve the carrots.
3. The next day, skim any fat from the surface of the soup.
4. Reheat the soup along with the reserved carrots. Eat while piping hot.
Rate This Recipe