- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 each 900g chicken, corn-fed
For the stuffing:
- 1 large head garlic
- 2 bunches flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
For the mash
- 4 Maris Piper potatoes
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 bunch basil, finely chopped
- butter and milk
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
1. Make the stuffing first; bring a small pan of water to the boil. Smash the garlic bulb into individual cloves and boil them, with the skins on, for 15 minutes.
2. Drain through a sieve and allow to cool. Peel the skins from the garlic and mash the cloves in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the parsley, followed by the olive oil and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, mixing well.
4. Lay the chicken portions on a chopping board, skin side down. Stuff the garlic and parsley between the meat and the skin of the breast and leg of each piece of chicken. Place on a baking tray and put in the fridge until you are ready to cook. Sprinkle salt on the chicken skin to crisp it.
5. Preheat a barbecue, griddle or grill to a medium-high heat.
6. To cook the chicken; place the chicken pieces on the hot barbecue and cook for 7-10 minutes on each side. Alternatively use a griddle pan or ordinary grill.
7. To make the mash; cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until cooked. Drain and return to the heat to dry the potatoes.
8. Add the mustard, butter, milk or cream and mash to the desired consistency.
9. Fold in the basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve the chicken with lemon wedges and mustard and basil mash.
Rate This Recipe