- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp strands saffron, ground and soaked in 1 tbsp water
- 2 preserved lemons
- freshly ground black pepper
- 100 ml Manzanilla sherry
- 75 g long grain rice, rinsed (optional)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large casserole dish. Add the chicken thighs and drumsticks and fry until browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the remaining olive oil to the casserole dish and heat through. Add the garlic and bay leaves and fry gently until fragrant.
3. Add the browned chicken portions, the paprika and the saffron with its soaking water. Mix well.
4. Rinse the preserved lemons thoroughly and add to the chicken. Season with freshly ground pepper.
5. Add the Manzanilla and bring to the boil. Add enough hot water to just cover the chicken pieces.
6. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, until the chicken is cooked through.
7. If using rice, add it to the pot after the chicken has simmered for 30 minutes. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat cover and simmer for a further 30 minutes by which time the rice and chicken should be cooked through.
Rate This Recipe