- Serves: Makes about 3 litres
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes to 3 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 chicken
- 4 litres cold water
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 small sticks celery
- 8 bay leaves
- 1/2 bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 x 75g head garlic, halved crossways
- 4 tsp white peppercorns
- 4 tsp sea salt
Tips and Suggestions
"This is a good all-round chicken stock with clean flavours," says Kylie.
1. Rinse the chicken and trim away excess fat from inside and outside cavity.
2. Cut the chicken into pieces and put in a large saucepan with all the other ingredients.
3. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, skimming with a ladle to remove any impurities.
4. Turn down the heat until the surface of the stock is barely moving and cook for 2 hours, skimming as required.
5. Remove the stock from stove, strain through muslin, cool and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in freezer for 2-3 months.
Rate This Recipe