- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins marinating
- Effort: easy
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chopped coriander
- juice of 1 lemons
- 1.5 kg chicken, ,cut into 8 pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp strands saffron
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 6 clementines, unpeeled, washed and cut into 8 pieces
- 150 g black olives, pitted
- steamed couscous
1. Mix the garlic, salt, coriander and lemon juice together and rub into the chicken pieces.
2. In a large bowl mix together the onion, black pepper, ginger, saffron and olive oil. Add the chicken pieces, mixing well. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Heat a stove-proof earthenware dish or casserole. Add the chicken pieces (reserving the marinade) and fry until golden brown.
4. Add the marinade and enough water to reach two-thirds up over the chicken pieces. Add the cinnamon, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2. Add the clementine pieces and olives to the chicken. Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the chicken from the dish and, if necessary, reduce the sauce to thicken. Check the seasoning and pour the sauce over the chicken pieces.
7. Serve the tagine with couscous.
Rate This Recipe