- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chicken
- 300 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1.75 kg chicken
- 175 ml white wine
- 40 large cloves garlic
- 4-6 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
For the mashed potato
- 800 g Maris Piper potatoes, cut into cubes
- large knob butter
- splash cream
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Juices from the chicken
1. For the chicken: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Heat a little of the oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken and cook on each side, until lightly browned all over. Place the chicken in a deep casserole only just large enough to fit, de-glaze the frying pan with the white wine then pour the contents of the pan over the chicken. Add the garlic to the casserole, pour over the oil, season with salt and pepper and add the herbs.
3. Cover the casserole very tightly, sealing well. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes - do not uncover whilst cooking.
4. For the mashed potato: bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil, add the potato and cook for about 15 minutes, until tender.
5. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to stand, covered, for 8-10 minutes.
6. Drain the potatoes and mash well, putting them through a potato ricer if you have one. Heat the butter and in a small pan then add to the potatoes along with the cream and spring onions. Mix well, add in a couple of tablespoons of the juices from the chicken and season to taste.
7. To serve, carve the chicken and serve slices alongside the mashed potato. Squish the garlic cloves out of their papery skins as you eat.
Rate This Recipe