- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 1.5-2.25 kg chicken
- 200 ml white wine
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 2 sprigs fresh marjoram, plus 2 tbsp chopped fresh marjoram
- 500 g mushrooms
- 250 ml cream
- 25 g roux
For the broad bean salad
- 400 g broad beans, out of their pods
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5.
2. Cut the chicken into portions by first of all removing the legs from the body. Cut the drumsticks away from the thighs and set aside. Remove the wish bone at the neck end, then cut one-third of each breast off with each wing attached. Carve the chicken breast away from the carcass (you can reserve the carcass for making stock in another recipe).
3. Heat the three tablespoons of the olive oil in a large ovenproof pan until smoking, then add the chicken pieces and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown all over.
4. Add the wine, stock, and the 2 whole sprigs of marjoram to the pan and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and place the pan into the oven for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. When cooked, remove the pan from the oven. Discard the sprigs of majoram, remove the chicken from the pan and leave to rest on a warm plate covered with aluminium foil to keep warm.
5. Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the cooking liquid has reduced to about 250ml, and is nearing a sauce consistency. Stir in the cream and warm through for one minute, then reduce to a simmer and whisk in the roux until the sauce has thickened. (If the sauce is too thick, whisk in a little stock to thin it out.)
6. Fry the mushrooms in the remaining olive oil for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown all over. Stir the mushrooms into the sauce along with the chopped marjoram, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. For the salad: place the broad beans into a bowl. Add the olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice, and toss well to coat. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. To serve, divide the chicken among serving plates and spoon the broad bean salad alongside. Drizzle the sauce over and around the chicken.
Rate This Recipe