- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 500 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 slice of day-old bread
- 1 kg fresh spinach, freshly rinsed
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
1. Drain the soaked chick peas. Place in a large saucepan. Cover generously with water and bring to the boil. Boil uncovered until the chick peas are tender, around 1 and a half hours to 2 hours, topping up with additional hot water if necessary. Season with salt towards the end of the cooking period. Drain the chick peas and keep warm.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Fry 1 garlic clove with the bread until the bread is golden. Transfer the fried garlic clove and bread to a pestle and mortar and pound to a paste.
3. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and fry the remaining garlic, red pepper, tomato and onion for 5 minutes, until softened. Mash the red pepper mixture into a paste.
4. In the same frying pan cook the freshly rinsed spinach until wilted. Sprinkle over the paprika and mix in well.
5. Mix together the drained chick peas, bread paste and red pepper paste, coating the chick peas thoroughly. Mix in the pan-fried spinach and serve.
Rate This Recipe