- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 2 hrs chilling time
- Effort: easy
- 1 beetroot
- 4 x 225 baby g packets vegetables, such as carrots, cauliflower, mange tout, courgettes
- 575 ml chicken or beef consommé
- horseradish or harissa, to taste
- 300 ml crème fraîche
- chervil leaves or chopped chives, to garnish
1. Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil, cook the beetroot until tender. This will take about 30 minutes for the baby ones, and up to an hour for larger ones. Drain, refresh in cold water and peel while still warm. Reserve the peelings.
2. If the beetroots are large, cut them into neat chunks so that they are roughly the same size as the baby vegetables.
3. Prepare the baby vegetables by trimming and peeling them as appropriate. Blanch the vegetables separately in boiling, salted water and refresh in cold water.
4. Put the beetroot peelings into a saucepan with the consommé and simmer for 15 minutes - the consommé will take on a deep purple colour . Pass through a sieve and allow to cool, discarding the trimmings. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
5. Mix the blanched vegetables together and put in a soup tureen or, for maximum effect, arrange in individual bowls. Add the beetroot last to prevent it discolouring the rest of the vegetables and spoon over the consommé. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
6. Mix the horseradish or harissa into the crème fraiche, then spoon over the soup. Garnish with the chervil leaves or chopped chives
Rate This Recipe