- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp crushed dried red chillies
- 1 x 400 g canred kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 g dark chocolate
For the tortillas
- 4 flour tortillas
For the steaks
- 2 x 250 g sirloin steaks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chilli oil, to drizzle
- 150 ml soured cream
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and fry for 5-6 minutes, until golden.
2. Stir in the dried chilies, kidney beans, tomatoes, wine and garlic. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Coarsely chop the chocolate and stir into the sauce.
4. Heat a stovetop grill-pan until very hot. Add the tortillas, one at a time, and cook for 1 minute on each side until lightly toasted. Put them in a very low oven to keep warm.
5. Brush the steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Add the steaks to the grill-pan and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium rare, or about 1-2 minutes longer, depending on the thickness of the meat
6. Remove from the pan, drizzle with chili oil and leave to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into diagonal slices.
7. Serve the steak and sauce with the warm tortillas, and accompany with guacamole, soured cream and shredded lettuce.
Rate This Recipe