- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the filling
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 Thai chillies, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 450 g organic minced beef
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- few drops tabasco
- 500 ml fresh beef stock
For the topping
- 4 Maris Piper potatoes, peeled
- large knob unsalted butter, plus extra for top
- splashes milk
- peas, cooked and buttered, to serve
1. For the filling: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the chillies and cook over a low heat for a couple of minutes. Add the onions and continue cooking until soft and brown. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
3. Turn up the heat and add the mince, a handful at a time, stirring it into the onion mixture.
4. Once fully incorporated and browned, stir in the Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces. Pour in the beef stock and bring to the boil.
5. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until cooked. Season to taste.
6. When cooked, transfer to an ovenproof dish and leave to cool slightly.
7. For the topping: place the potatoes in a large pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer until cooked through.
8. Drain, put back in the pan and place back over the heat to dry off any excess water.
9. Warm the milk in a small pan then add to the potatoes and the butter. Mash until smooth.
10. Cover the mince filling with the potato, run over the top with a fork and dot with butter.
11. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with buttered peas.
Rate This Recipe