- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: medium
- 1.2 litres double cream
- 300 ml milk
- 2 1/2 vanilla pods
- 10 egg yolks
- 225 g caster sugar
- pinch of liquorice concentrate
- 1 Poblano chilli, (or similar mild chilli) finely chopped
For the mango and pistachio lassi:
- 360 ml natural yogurt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp mango purée
- 300 ml water
- 1 tbsp crushed pistachio nuts
- double cream, to serve
1. First make the ice cream. In a large, heavy-based saucepan, combine the cream and milk. Scrape out the vanilla seeds and add to the pan. Then add the pods. Gently heat until just below boiling point.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together slowly for 10 minutes until pale and thick.
3. Pour a little warm cream into the egg yolks and combine. Add the remaining warm cream, return to the heat and cook gently stirring continuously to prevent curdling.
4. When the mixture has thickened and is almost boiling, pour it into a bowl. Remove the vanilla pods. Mix in the Poblano chilli to the cream mixture.
5. Cool the mixture, chill for 1 hour, then pour into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen. Store the ice cream in freezer-proof cartons and freeze until required.
6. Before serving, place a scoop of chilli ice cream each into 6 Margarita-style serving glasses. Chill in the freezer.
6. To make the lassi, put the yoghurt into a jug and whisk until frothy. Add the sugar, mango puree and water and whisk for 2 minutes.
7. Pour mango lassi generously over the ice cream scoops, then return the glasses to the freezer and chill.
8. Remove from freezer and garnish with the chopped pistachios and double cream. Serve.
Rate This Recipe