- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 mins marinating (optional)
- Effort: easy
For the mackerel
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 2 large red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- splashes olive oil
For the chorizo and potatoes
- 16 baby potatoes
- 300 g chorizo, sliced
- ½ lemons, juice only
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Tips and Suggestions
To make the dish more substantial try adding some eggs to the chorizo mix and baking them until cooked through before adding the mackerel.
1. Place the mackerel fillets on a plate. Squeeze juice from the lemon over the fish, then scatter over the chilli and garlic. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. If you have time, set aside for 30 minutes infuse.
2. For the chorizo and potatoes:Add the potatoes to a saucepan and cover with water. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft when poked with a fork. Remove from the heat and drain. Leave to cool a little until they are easy to handle then cut into bite- size pieces.
3. Place a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the chorizo you shouldn't need any oil. Fry the chorizo slices for 2-3 minutes until they are red and crispy. Add the red onion and continue to cook until just soft. Squeeze on the lemon juice and put in the potatoes. Gently toss all the ingredients together and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
4. For the mackerel: heat a large frying pan, on a medium heat and add the mackerel fillets skin-side down. Cook for a couple of minutes and when the skin is crispy, turn the fish over and allow the flesh side to cook for another couple of minutes.
5. Serve a generous portion of the warm salad on each plate, top with a mackerel fillet and scatter with flat-leaf parsley.
Rate This Recipe