- Serves: Makes 8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 30 mins resting
- Effort: medium
- 150 g flour, mixture of wholewheat and plain
- 1 tsp oil
- a few pinches of salt
- 125 ml milk
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp clarified butter, (ghee)
- a dipping sauce, such as yogurt or chutney
1. Place the flour in a large bowl. Add the oil, salt and milk.
2. Mix together with your hands and bring together to form a dough. Knead the dough until smooth. Cover the bowl with cling film and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
3. Mix together the chilli powder, chopped chilli, onion and coriander in a bowl.
4. Divide the dough into 8 even-sized portions and shape into 8 small balls.. Use your thumb to make a hole in each dough ball and fill the hole with a portion of the chilli mixture. Bring the dough together over the filling.
5. Using a rolling pin roll out each paratha on a lightly floured work-surface into a flat, round pancake shape.
6. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until hot. Dry-fry a paratha until browned on each side, around 2 minutes.
7. Add a quarter teaspoon of clarified butter and fry the paratha in the butter for 2 minutes. Serve the freshly fried parathas with a dipping sauce.
Rate This Recipe