- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 x 150 g duck breast, with skin
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tsp chilli powder
- 3 tsp sea salt
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the garnish
- 1 large red chilli, diagonally sliced
- 3 spring onions, shredded
- 2 lemons, halved
- 2 tbsp crushed sichuan peppercorns
1. Arrange duck breasts on a heatproof plate that will fit inside a steamer basket.
2. Place the plate inside the steamer and set the steamer over a deep saucepan or wok filled with boiling water. Cover the duck breasts and steam for 12 minutes, or until the duck breasts are half cooked.
3. Meanwhile, combine the flour, chilli powder and salt in a bowl
4. Carefully remove the plate from the steamer basket, transfer the duck breasts to a rack and set aside for 25 minutes to cool.
5. Toss the duck breasts in the chilli-salt mixture until well coated. Shake off any excess flour.
6. Heat the oil in a large hot wok until the surface shimmers slightly. Add the duck breasts and deep fry for about 2 minutes, until just cooked through and lightly browned. Remove, and drain well on kitchen paper.
7. Slice the duck breasts and garnish with a scattering of chilli and spring onion. Serve with the lemon halves and small bowls of Szechuan pepper and salt.
Rate This Recipe