- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g squid, cleaned
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 large red chilli
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion
- sprigs coriander, to garnish
For the seasoned flour:
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder, garlic powder
- 1½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp fine salt
For the dressing:
- 2 red chillies
- 750 ml mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1. To make the dressing, cut the chillis in half lengthways and place in a saucepan with the vinegar and sugar. Place the pan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the liquid reduces to a thin syrup.
2. Strain the liquid, stir in the lime juice and set aside to cool.
3. Score the flesh of the squid lightly with a sharp knife.
4. Slice the peppers and chilli into julienne strips and place in a mixing bowl. Finely chop the onion, add to the bowl and mix. Set aside.
5. To make the seasoned flour, place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
6. Dip the squid in the seasoned flour mix.
7. Place the vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the squid and cook for 1 minute.
8. Cut the fried squid into rings, then toss together with the julienne vegetables and chilli dressing. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
Rate This Recipe