- Serves: 4 as a main course, six as a starter
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1.25 kg live mussels, in their shells, rinsed, beards removed
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pinches dried red chilli flakes
- 230 ml dry white wine
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 bunches flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt, to season
1. Discard any opened mussels. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Add the chilli flakes and garlic, and fry for about 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
2. Tip in the mussels and pour over the wine. Cover the pan with a lid, bring the wine to a simmer and cook the mussels for 3-4 minutes. Add the vinegar, parsley and salt to season - stir well, replace the lid and continue cooking until the mussel shells have opened and the flesh is tender. This should take another 3-4 minutes. Discard any closed mussels
3. Divide the mussels between deep bowls, ladle over the broth, and serve piping hot.
Rate This Recipe