- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 25 g caster sugar
- 1 lime, segmented, juice reserved
- 2 cm piece root ginger, grated
- 1 head spring greens, leaves separated
- 1 pig's liver
- 50 g rice flour
- Pinch Sichuan ground pepper
- knob butter
- 1 handful tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli
- 15 g black beans, soaked overnight, or tinned, drained black beans
- splash soy sauce, and sesame oil
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, chopped
- 3 cm piece root ginger, julienned
- sliced spring onions, to garnish
1. Make a little stock syrup by heating the sugar with 2 tbsp water in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer very briefly until syrupy, then remove from the heat to cool. Place the lime segments in a bowl and pour in a little of the lime juice and enough of the sugar syrup to just cover. Scatter over the grated ginger and leave to infuse.
2. Drop the spring greens into a pan of boiling water, blanch for 1-2 minutes, then drain in a colander and put under running cold water to refresh. Drain well and cut into small pieces.
3. Trim any excess sinew from the liver then cut into 1cm thick slices. Mix the rice flour with the Sichuan pepper and some salt. Dust the liver in the seasoned flour and shake off any excess. Heat a splash of olive oil in a heavy-based pan. Dip the liver in the flour, then place in the hot pan. Fry until coloured on one side then turn over, drop a small knob of butter into the pan and reduce the heat. You want to colour the outside of the liver but the middle should still be pink.
4. In a separate frying pan or wok stir fry the broccoli with a little dash of water and a splash of oil. Stir in the black beans and the lime seeped in syrup. Season with a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Scatter in the chopped chilli and julienned ginger. Serve the crispy liver on a bed of the vegetables and garnish with spring onions.
Rate This Recipe