- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus at least 4 hours resting time
- Effort: easy
For the sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Guilin chilli sauce, or other hot chilli sauce
For the omelettes
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 large handful sweet basil, leaves
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 6 native oysters, shucked, kept whole or sliced
- mixed salad leaves, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Guilin chili sauce is made of fresh chilli, garlic and fermented soybeans. It is also sold as 'soy chili sauce', so look out for that too.
1. For the spicy sweet chilli sauce: whisk all the chilli sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside until ready to serve.
2. For the omelettes: crack the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly. Mix in the sweet basil leaves and season with salt and ground white pepper.
3. Heat a wok over a high heat. When the wok starts to smoke, add the groundnut oil then pour in the egg and basil mixture. Let the egg settle for about 30 seconds, then drop in the oysters and lower the heat to medium. Cook for about 2 minutes, using a wooden spatula to loosen the base of the omelette so it does not stick to the wok and swirling the runny egg around the sides of the wok to cook.
4. Flip the omelette over, cook for a few seconds then fold in half and transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle over some of the spicy sweet chilli sauce, garnish with some mixed leaves and serve.
Rate This Recipe