- Serves: makes 8-10
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus optional two hours sitting time
- Effort: easy
- 2 egg whites
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 75 g roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 50 g milk, white or dark chocolate, chopped
1. Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3
2. Whisk the egg whites until they resemble stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in the sugar a spoonful at a time.
3. Fold in the cocoa and almonds, reserving a few nuts for topping.
4. Put small spoonfuls of the mixture on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a heatproof Teflon mat. Turn the oven down to 150C/130C fan/gas 2 and bake for about 30 mins until set. If you can, leave them to cool for at least 2 hours in the oven with the heat turned off and the door closed.
5. Melt the chocolate by boiling a little water in a saucepan on a low heat and suspending the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over the water but not touching it. Once melted, use a piping bag or fork and drizzle it over the meringues and then scatter over the reserved nuts.
Rate This Recipe