- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 200 g good quality dark chocolate
- 150 g butter, cubed
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 100 g ground almonds
- shot espresso coffee
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a small pyrex bowl rested over a pan of simmering water.
2. Beat the egg yolks and ¾ of the caster sugar in a large bowl with an electric whisker until pale.
3. Add the melted chocolate mixture and the vanilla seeds to the egg yolk mixture.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with the remaining sugar until it forms soft peaks and then add the baking powder.
5. Fold the two mixtures together, add the almonds and pour into a greased and lined square or rectangular tray. Bake for approximately 30 mintues.
6. When ready to serve, cut into triangles and serve with a quenelle of mascarpone and a shot of hot espresso on the side.
Rate This Recipe