- Serves: makes 4 200g jars
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus sterilising
- Effort: easy
- 800 g ripe bananas, (about 6 very large ones), thinly sliced to 1mm thickness
- 200 ml water, at room temperature
- 420 g organic unrefined raw cane sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (use 70+ cocoa solids)
- 40 ml amaretto (almond liqueur)
Tips and Suggestions
This jam will keep for up to 3 months if stored in a fridge or in a cool, dark cupboard. Once opened, store in the fridge and consume within 1 week.
You can find out more about National Jam Week here.
1. Preheat the oven to 130C/110Cfan/gas1. Place 4 200g jam jars in the oven for 15 minutes to sterilise them.
2. Transfer the banana to a large saucepan with the water and sugar. Mix well on a medium heat, stir constantly and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Once the mixture starts to boil, skim away any excessive scum, stirring constantly all the time.
3. Keep at a rolling boil for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly till the mixture becomes clearer and brighter. Add the dark chocolate, mix well and bring it back to boil. Once the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat immediately and stir in the amaretto.
4. Ladle the hot jam into the hot sterilised jars leaving a gap of about 1-2cm from the top.
Rate This Recipe