- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 175 g plain flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 75 g cocoa powder
- 225 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 225 g raw beetroot
- 200 ml corn oil
- cream, to serve
For the red wine syrup:
- 150 ml red wine
- 150 g sugar
- zest of 1 oranges, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and sugar into a bowl.
3. Blend the eggs, beetroot and corn oil in a blender until smooth.
4. Fold the beetroot mixture into the sifted dry ingredients.
5. Turn the beetroot mixture into a greased, lined 20cm cake tin.
6. Bake for 40 minutes until risen and set.
7. Meanwhile, make the red wine syrup. Place the red wine, sugar and orange zest in a non-reactive saucepan and simmer gently until reduced, around 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
8. Cool the cake on a wire rack.
9. Serve the cake with the red wine syrup and cream.
Rate This Recipe