- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 250 g dried figs
- 3-4 tbsp brandy
- 375 g pre-made shortcrust pastry
- 110 g dark chocolate
- 150 ml double cream
- 250 ml mascarpone
- 2 eggs, beaten
For the orange cream
- 150 ml whipping cream, lightly whipped
- 1 large orange, zest only
- icing sugar, to taste
1. Place the figs in a bowl with the brandy and leave to soak overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to 0.25cm thickness and use to line a 30cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Chill for 15 minutes.
4. Line the pastry tart case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and return the tart case to the oven for 3-5 minutes until the pastry is just cooked. Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 180C/gas 4.
5. Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and pour over the cream. Set
the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate has just melted. Remove from the heat and add the mascarpone cheese and beaten eggs. Cut the figs in half and stir into the chocolate mixture, with any soaking juices.
6. Pour the chocolate and fig mix into the cooked flan case and return to the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling has just set - the top will have cracked slightly, which is normal. Leave to cool.
7. Fold the orange zest into the whipped cream and add icing sugar to taste.
8. Serve at room temperature, or chilled, with the orange cream.
Rate This Recipe