- Serves: 10-12
- Cook Time: 25 minutes plus 3 hours for cooking the condensed milk
- Prep Time: 1.5 hours 30 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
For the mousse
- 150 ml rum
- 50 g glucose
- 9 sheets gelatine, soaked in cold water
- 750 g dark chocolate, melted
- 3 tbsp chestnut purée, sweetened
- 750 ml whipping cream, whipped
For the brandy snaps
- 1 x 397 g can condensed milk
- 400 g butter
- 360 g glucose
- 520 g caster sugar
- 360 g plain flour
- 1 kg mascarpone
1. For the chocolate chestnut mousse; warm the rum and glucose, and add the soaked gelatine. Stir until melted.
2. Combine the rum mixture with the melted chocolate and stir in the chestnut puree.
3. Fold in the whipped cream.
4. Line a conical strainer with food grade plastic wrap and pour the chocolate mixture into it. Balance over a bowl or pan to hold the strainer in place and leave in the fridge overnight to set.
5. Place the unopened can of condensed milk in a pan, half-filled with water. Simmer for 3 hours. Leave the can to cool before opening. Set aside.
6. For the brandy snaps; warm the butter and glucose until the glucose has melted. Stir in the sugar and flour.
7. Leave this mixture to firm up for about 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.
8. Shape into small balls, about 2cm in diameter, and place, in batches, on a baking tray which has been lined with a teflon sheet. Slightly flatten each ball, leaving plenty of space for the snaps to spread in the oven. Bake for about 8 minutes, until light golden.
9. Leave the biscuits to cool for a minute before wrapping around a wooden spoon and shaping into a cigar shape. Leave on one side to set.
10. For the filling;combine the mascarpone cheese with the cooked condensed milk. Spoon the filling into a piping bag fitted with a plain 0.5cm nozzle and use to fill into both ends of each brandy snap,
11. Turn the set mousse out of the conical strainer and onto a serving plate. Stud the surface with the filled brandy snaps.
12. For a retro-style flourish, decorate with red roses and trailing ivy.
Rate This Recipe