- Serves: Makes 25
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 125 g plain flour
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 scant tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 25 g dried cherries, chopped
- 50 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 star anise, crushed
- 35 g shelled pistachio nuts
- 25 g almonds
- 25 g shelled hazelnuts
- 1/2 lemon, zest only
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Mix together the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
3. Add half the beaten egg and mix well, then add half of what's left and mix again. Add the last quarter a little bit at a time until the dough takes shape but isn't too wet (if the dough is dry add a little more egg). Finally add the cherries, chocolate, star anise, nuts and lemon zest and mix well.
4. Wet your hands and divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll into sausage shapes about 3cm in diameter and lay out on baking parchment on baking trays at least 6cm apart.
5. Lightly flatten the top of the dough and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave for 10 minutes to cool and firm up.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 140C/gas 1.
7. With a serrated knife, cut the biscotti on an angle into 0.5cm slices and return to the baking trays. Put back in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes, turning once, until they turn pale golden in colour.
8. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks. Once completely cold, store the biscotti in airtight jars.
Rate This Recipe