- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 4 hours 20 minutes plus 2 hours cooling and infusing time
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 200 g 55% cocoa dark chocolate
- 80 ml milk
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 egg whites
- 20 g granulated sugar
For the cardamom foam
- 50 g cardamom pods
- 30 g granulated sugar
- 500 ml semi-skimmed milk
For the dried orange powder
- 1 orange, peel only
1. For the dried orange powder: preheat the oven to 100C/gas ¼.
2. Spread the pieces of orange peel evenly over an oven tray. Dry in the oven slowly for 4 hours or until completely dry.
3. Grind the dried peel in a spice grinder or blender until it is reduced to a fine powder. Store in an airtight jar until needed.
4. Chop the chocolate into small pieces, put it in a large bowl and gently melt over a saucepan of simmering water.
5. Put the milk and orange zest into small saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and pour the milk mixture over the melted chocolate, stirring until well combined.
6. Whisk the egg yolk into the chocolate mixture.
7. Using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites and sugar together until the mixture forms soft peaks.
8. Add one third of the egg white mixture to the chocolate and mix well. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
9. Fill cappuccino cups three-quarters full with the mousse mixture and put them in the fridge to set for 1 hour.
10. For the cardamom foam: combine the cardamom, sugar and milk in a small saucepan and stir over heat until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 1 hour.
11. Strain the milk mixture through a sieve and discard the solids.
12. To serve, gently re-warm the infused milk and whisk with a hand blender until it foams. Spoon a little foam onto each mousse cup and dust with the dried orange powder.
Rate This Recipe