- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 2 hrs for the mousse to firm up
- Effort: hard
For the mousse
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 5 eggs, separated
- 35 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp passion fruit, pulp only, sieved, plus 6 tsp passion fruit pulp for decoration
- 300 ml double cream
For the brandy snap baskets
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 55 g caster sugar
- 60 g golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 55 g plain flour
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool. Half whip the double cream and fold into the cooled melted chocolate
3. Combine the passion-fruit pulp with the egg yolks and add to the chocolate cream.
4. Whip the egg whites until stiff and whisk in the caster sugar. Fold this mixture into the chocolate cream. Transfer the mousse into a bowl and refrigerate for an hour or two, until it firms up.
5. For the brandy snap baskets; warm the butter, caster sugar and golden syrup until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly.
6. Stir in the ground ginger, vanilla extract, brandy and lemon zest, before gradually adding the flour. Set the mixture aside for 15 minutes to cool and firm up.
7. Drop 6 large tablespoons of the mixture onto a non-stick or well-buttered baking tray, allowing plenty of room between each one as they will spread out.
8. With lightly buttered fingers spread the mixture into circles around 5cm wide. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until they have spread out and are golden brown. Leave to cool for 1 minute before removing them from the tray.
9. Turn 6 dariole moulds, ramekins or small teacups upside down on a work surface. Carefully remove the brandy snaps from the tray (they should be pliable: if they aren't, return them to the oven for a few minutes), mould the biscuits onto the upturned cups and leave them for a minute to set in shape.
10. Remove the baskets from the moulds and store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
11. Remove the mousse from the fridge.
12. Place one brandy snap basket in the centre of a plate. Spoon a generous scoop of mousse in the middle, and top with a tablespoon of passion fruit pulp. Serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe