- Serves: Makes 12 cupcakes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 150 g butter, softened
- 150 g sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 150 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 50 g chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp milk
For the chocolate fudge icing:
- 60 g butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 50 g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp raspberry jam
- silver balls, hundreds and thousands or sprinkles
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
2. Put the cocoa powder in a bowl, then gradually stir in the boiling water until you have a smooth, thick paste. Leave to cool.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale.
4. Gradually mix in the beaten egg alternating with the flour and cocoa mix until everything is incorporated. Finally, stir through the chocolate chips and milk.
5. Place 12 paper cupcake cases into a muffin tin and divide the mixture between them.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
7. For the icing: heat the butter in a pan with the milk until melted, and then sift in the a bit of icing sugar and cocoa, stir and repeat until all the sugar and cocoa have been incorporated and the icing is thick and fudgey. Mix in the raspberry jam and then spread onto the cupcakes in thick swirls.
8. Sprinkle with your choice of decorations and allow to set for at least 30 minutes.
Rate This Recipe