- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 50 minutes plus cooling
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 5 eggs
- 175 g vanilla sugar
- 225 g best quality dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
- 150 g blanched almonds, freshly ground
- 1 heaped tsp ground coffee
- 200 g raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3. Grease and flour a 20cm springform cake tin then line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper.
2. Separate the yolks and whites of four of the eggs, tipping them into two large bowls. Add the remaining egg to the bowl with the yolks, followed by half the sugar. Beat for about 5 minutes until pale and doubled in volume.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt in a bowl set over boiling water.
4. Whisk the egg whites, adding the remaining sugar a bit at a time, until they are at the satiny, soft peak stage.
5. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold half the whites into the egg and sugar mixture. Fold in the chocolate and the rest of the whites, followed by the almonds and the coffee.
6. Last of all add the raspberries. Fold them in with extreme care so they don't break up.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared springform tin. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the cake for another 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
Rate This Recipe