- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 1 hr resting
- Effort: medium
- 4 tbsp butter, for greasing tart tins
- 60 g unsweetened cocoa powder, ifted, for dusting
- 1 egg
- 220 g dark chocolate, (72% cocoa solids), broken in small pieces
- 180 ml full-fat milk
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
For the pastry:
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 185 g butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- seeds from 1 vanilla pods
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- fresh fruit compôte
- candied orange peel
- chocolate curls
- fruit coulis
1. Butter the tart tins and dust with the sifted cocoa powder.
2. To make the pastry, sift the flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Rub in the butter and vanilla until the consistency is like fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the egg and lightly knead to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
4. To make the filling, whisk the egg in a bowl.
5. Put the chocolate and milk in a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted, mixing well.
6. Add the chocolate-milk mix to the egg.
7. Heat the rum in a ladle and ignite using a long taper. When the flames have died down, add to the chocolate mix.
8. Roll out the pastry thinly. Cut into circles and fit into the tart tins. Line with kitchen foil and fill with baking beans. Bake for 8-10 minutes until firm.
9. Remove the foil and baking beans. Sprinkle the ground almonds over the base. Fill three-quarters full with the chocolate mix. Bake for another 8 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack until cold. Chill for 4 hours.
11. Place on serving plates and decorate with fresh fruit compôte, candied orange peel, chocolate curls and fruit coulis.
Rate This Recipe